Today I experienced some very terrifying feelings.
Friday was going along very nicely. Many things were getting accomplished. Ken and I decided to run some errands for church stuff. Nathan and Cressalyn were in our den with their youth pastor, Bryan, watching a video. We told them we'd be back.
After a couple stops we realized we were getting hungry and called the house to have the kids begin dinner. No answer. The machine picked up. Well, they could be down in the basement and didn't get to the phone. They'll call right back.
Nope.
I called again. Got the machine...again. Told the dog to pick up the phone. She didn't.
As I waited in the truck at Staples while Ken made one last stop, I began to get very worried. See, my mind plays these nasty tricks on me and I go down the worse case scenario road to the extreme.
I called our Senior Pastor to get Pastor Bryan's cell phone number. I called Bryan. No answer. Great. Now my mind is picturing the three of them bound and gagged in the basement...or worse. I left a message.
We went quickly back to the church and drove past the youth house (which has no phone) to see if they might be there. Bryan's truck was in the parking lot. Youth house was dark. Ken parked in front of the church and went to check the church for the kids. I headed for the house. Sasha met me at the door, but didn't have any news for me. There was no one there. There were no notes.
Ken and I went back across the parking lot to the youth house to verify that it was locked. Yes. Now, I go from terror and worry to anger. These 2 have gotten me ALL worked up! I am going to kick some teenage b....!!! And THEN I will have words for the youth pastor!
So, Ken and I went in the house discussing punishments for not notifying us of their departure. Ken convinced me that it would be in everyone's best interest if HE handled the youth pastor and I handled the kids. We stood in the kitchen talking things through.
Then...it happened. Somewhere in the darkest places of my empty head, a light bulb was turned on.
Today was Friday. At 3:45 PM Nathan and Cressalyn were going with Pastor Bryan and several other youth to make a video for the 14th.
Duh.
Repentance, shame, humility, all flooded over me. We had in fact authorized this outing.
Duh.
1 comment:
This happens to all parents at some time in the life of their kids! Thank God everyone was safe! Grab a big family sized calendar - have everyone write down their planned activites - and then the hard part - LOOK at the calendar every morning and evening! This from a mom of 4 and a grandma of soon to be 4 too - and we still use the calendar! Hugs to all of you - we miss your smiling faces and are so glad we can catch up via these blogs!
Post a Comment