I have been aggressively searching for ancestoral information for my family and Ken's. Some information is very easy to find, but other info is very difficult! I was able to go to NC Tuesday of this week with my mother to check some records in Yadkinville. We looked at a lot of records and found it VERY interesting! I am looking forward to doing some more hands-on research in Pennsylvania sometime soon. Both my family and Ken's have roots all over that state!
One of the things that I have discovered that makes me sad is that both our families were slave owners at one time. I guess that shouldn't surprise me considering the time, era, and the traditions of the life. But I had hoped that no one had participated in that. There is evidence that one of the patriarchs who owned slaves struggled greatly with the morality of the issue. It's written that he owned many more than he could profitably afford and NEVER sold any. I do not know if he bought any, but he didn't sell them. I do wonder if he would purchase them so that he would assure their safety and good treatment. It all sends various emotions through my heart.
One of these days I will have a complete listing of all our ancestors, good and bad. This process is very enjoyable for me and actually I find it therapeutic! You should try it! The internet is a great source of information, but you have to be careful to verify the sources! Have fun finding out who you are connected to!
No comments:
Post a Comment