Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It Takes a Village...

With all the news coverage of the primaries and such Hilary Clinton is mentioned a lot. A flashback came to me this evening. Remember when her book "It Takes a Village" came out? It's message is that it takes more than one person to raise a child. It takes entire communities.

Well, I have experienced first hand the meaning of this message in the past 3 days. Ken and Cressalyn went to Pennsylvania to be with Pop and Mom. Nathan is in El Salvador. Kenny and I have been here to hold down the fort and continue working.

Carmel, our 14 week old, seems to understand that her whole family isn't together. She's taking this out on me. While she is loving and very playful, she is demonstrating her disapproval by leaving piles. Tonight while Kenny was working I was home alone with the girls. Carmel continues to pester Sasha and Sasha wasn't standing for it much. She snapped at Carmel several times yet the puppy would continue her pursuit of a live play toy.

At one point in the evening Carmel came barreling from the kitchen to the couch and pounced on ME!!! She thinks she's a lap dog! Uh uh! So I thought that letting her be outside for a while to get rid of some of her energy would be a good thing. Sasha kept watch over her from the sliding glass doorway. After a bit I decided to let Carmel return to the inside. She was laying quietly on the grass looking at the door.

I went out without the leash. I know that Carmel will go right inside once let off the lead. And that's what she did! She went full steam into the house! RIGHT THROUGH THE SCREEN DOOR!

It takes a village to raise a puppy, too. I'm not doing to well with this "single parenting" thing. My family needs to come home!

1 comment:

Russ and Karla Patterson said...

Many years ago we replace a window with a doorwall - yikes what a mess that was! Before the workmen had packed up the dog saw a squirrel and ran right through the screen - didn't catch the squirrel either. Gotta love those 4 legged friends!