Saturday, May 10, 2008

HGTV is so cruel!

I know you have seen the shows. You have been drawn to the channel to see what can be done to a space in a house for next to no money in next to no time. I am proclaiming here and now that HGTV is totally and utterly cruel!!!
For several years I have taken a mild interest in the home improvement and decorating programing on television. My husband, on the other hand, not so much. He never really saw the need. As we began the process of looking to purchase a home of our own I began paying more attention to these shows. During the days leading to the actual closing it was very interesting to find the remote in Ken's hand and the channel on...yep! HGTV.
So in the past 9 days that we have been offical homeowners we have been doing some of the redecorating that needs to take place for us to move in. Things that are much easier to be done without furniture in the house.
As Cressalyn and I have spent many hours slaving away at our various tasks, it has occurred to me that HGTV has deceived us all. They have told us on their programs that we can do these techniques, colors schemes, decorating ideas, etc., in our own homes...with our own budgets....by ourselves.
WRONG!!!
What they do not show us is the crew that comes in and assists with all the hard labor!! They can do what they do in the time they do it in because they have a crew!! What I want to know is...WHERE IS MY CREW???
Bless her precious heart, Cressalyn has been pouring herself into this house so much! I have asked much of her while I am at work and she gladly is doing it! I am so blessed to have a wonderful assistant!
Ken and the boys are helping as they are able when their work schedules allow. Last Sunday I allowed everyone the day off from working on the house. This Sunday, however....being MOTHER'S DAY....will be different! Following the morning services and lunch we will be spending the rest of MY day working our OUR home! I know that the Lord's Day is to be a day of rest. But I think He will understand this time since it's the one time that all 5 of us can work together and really accomplish a lot.
So, beware as you watch those inticing shows on HGTV and other channels like them. They like to suck you in!!!! You might end up like us! In the middle of a HUGE project that seems to have no end!!!

1 comment:

Russ and Karla Patterson said...

Next thing you know you will be telling me there is no Sa--a Cl--s!!!!

Funniest thing - it is easier with nothing in the house - but EASIER does not mean EASY!! ;-)

But in the end you will be happy - because you did it and because it is yours!

Happy Mother's Day to you - and it will be a great one since you are spending it with your family!

Karla & Russ - CWC