2 years ago Ken and I delivered our firstborn to his freshman year of college. This weekend I delivered Nathan to Oklahoma Wesleyan University.
Overall the trip went very smoothly. We did hit traffic and rain in Memphis on Friday. We stayed in hotels that were nice enough. We talked, we sang, we munched, and we listened to books on CD. One in particular...a Louis L'Amour. He LOVES Louis L'Amour books. It was a great time for us, spending final hours together.
The closer we got to Bartlesville, the more Nathan talked...the more random his topics and words. If you spend anytime with Nate, you know that he is a very random individual at times. He was enamored with the oil pumps that were all over the fields. Some worked. He was amazed at the openness of the land. If you could have been in his head you would have seen him picturing the stories from his books. He realized that he was in the same area where so much history that he has enjoyed took place in Oklahoma.
He saw his first armadillo. It was actually road kill but nonetheless it was an armadillo. We looked for longhorn cattle but didn't see any on the way in. I did on the way out of Bartlesville.
The staff of OWU had orchestrated registration in a wonderful way. Everything went by the schedule. We ended the day on Saturday with a worship time and a goodbye ceremony. Ugh.
This mother was already a basket case by the time she sat down for the worship. Then the students filed to the front of the large chapel to get a rose. They brought the roses to their parents to say goodbye. By the time Nathan made his way to me I was a wreck. We hugged and he began to thank me for the opportunity to attend OWU. He thanked me for many other things, too. I then, prayed for Nathan...sobbing the whole while. Nathan prayed for me, too. When we broke out of the hug I saw the tears on his face.
Letting your children go to begin their adulthood is very difficult. I have been told this over and over. Now I am experiencing it for the second time. The first time was hard enough. The second time has actually been harder.
Cressalyn has been told that she cannot leave me. I can't do this again.
She doesn't agree.
5 comments:
(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))After reading this, I'm crying just thinking about my kids going to college some day & they are ages 3 & 1. It's got to be very hard on a momma's heart. Very hard.
Love you!!
I was a wreck just reading this - cannot imagine how you made it through the "rose" goodbye!! We will pray for Nathan and his first adjustment to life in the dorm!
I don't know how you did it. I am glad Robert is staying home for his first year of college for sure and maybe even longer. That's a hard thing to let go for us moms.
I do not look forward to the day Peter leaves us! 2 more years. I am so proud that he wants to go go BBC yet am selfish and want him home alittle longer! Hugs to you my friend!
I am so thankful that you did the trip with Nathan and that you had the time to process LOTS as you returned home safely!
He will be fine! You will too!
Proud of you all!
Praying for Nathan's college year!
Aunt Sally
Post a Comment