Monday, January 19, 2009

Jesus Loves Him

Today I was faced with a potentially explosive situation while at work. We had run out of Dr. Pepper and Ken had left the store to get more from another restaurant across town. While he was gone a customer came through the drive-through and ordered a Dr. Pepper. He was informed that we were out and was offered other choices. He said he would sit right there...at the drive-through window...until we could fill his drink request.

Ken had left me in charge of the shift and the other assistant manager brought this situation to my attention. I went to the window and apologized for the inconvenience and asked him to pull his car into a parking spot. We would bring his order out to him as soon as our general manager returned. He refused to move. He just sat there...looking at me. Again I asked him to pull his vehicle forward to a parking spot. He hesitated and then began slowly pulling forward. He told me to be careful because I was getting angry. I calmly assured him that I was not angry. He said, "Yes you are" and pulled into a parking spot.

I returned to the front counter to wait on another customer. As I was filling his order this drive-through customer came inside. I asked him how I could help. He said instead of the Dr. Pepper he would just have a large milk. I informed him that we have only one size carton but I would happy to give him 2. I placed them on the counter in front of him and he realized it was 2% milk. He said he wanted whole milk. I told him that was all we had to offer. He responded "you don't have whole milk AND you don't have Dr. Pepper??" Again I apologized for the inconvenience.

He gathered his food and milk...after opening his sandwich to check for the onions he had ordered...and looked me in the eye...and said, "Thank you." Then he left.

The rest of the employees said they would have been yelling at him long before he even came inside if they had handled the situation. A customer at the counter was stunned at how grumpy this man was. It took a few moments for my nerves to settle and my heart to stop racing. I had full intentions of refusing to serve him any more and refund his money to him if he continued to behave as he was. In fact, had he refused to move his vehicle I was prepared to call for police assistance.

But as the rest of my shift and then the day wore on my thoughts returned to this man over and over. His face continues to be in my mind. I want to ask him who hurt him? What made him so distrusting of others that he feels the need to bully his way through a simple drink order? In just a short time after he left I felt as though Jesus said to me, "I love him."

After all was said and done, I had remained calm and had treated him with dignity and respect. It must have done something to his armor because he thanked me. How differently this could have gone had I let my reactions be based on his requests.

There have been many times...no many MANY times...in my life that I have reacted with a huff, rolling my eyes, sharp movements, and stinging tone of voice. I know I can react that way. But with the divine assistance of Numa...the Holy Spirit...I was able to refrain from adding negativity to negativity. How many missed opportunities have I had? There's no way to know. But I am so hopeful for the future opportunities that WILL come in my life! I am confident that with Numa's help I will be able to respond appropriately again!

Thank you, Jesus! For sending Numa! I pray for this man that You will make Yourself known to him! He needs Your peace! He needs to know that You love him!

2 comments:

Russ and Karla Patterson said...

You have a great and positive way of looking at this situation! But be careful - there are a lot of "sick" people out there! Praying that the gentleman comes to know the love of Jesus! And that you never run out of Dr. Pepper ever again! ;-)

Halls said...

Patience and compassion!!! You did a great job that is for sure. You have to know that when people are like that they have been hurt like you said or just feel like someone owes them something. How much simpler life would be if we would do what Jesus said, Love your neighbor as yourself!!!! Great Job.