Saturday I took time to finish blowing the leaves out of our front yard. Our next door neighbors, an older couple, Charlie & Genny, left their house. When they left I thought it would be a cool thing to blow off their driveway. My concern is that the rain would make the leaves slick and one of them could fall. They have a gorgeous maple tree and all its leaves are nearly gone. So I took care of the driveway.
They were easier leaves than mine! So, I did their sidewalk and porch. I was joying myself so much that I thought I'd go ahead and do the entire front yard. Those leaves were very easily blowing the way I wanted...unless the wind blew them back. I kept an eye out for their car. I didn't want to be there when they returned. I got to thinking that maybe what I was doing would come across as offensive to them. I hadn't asked first. I prayed and asked God to not let this offend them. I specifically asked for God to let this be a ministry, a blessing to them.
It was dark when I finished and they weren't home yet. Great!
Sunday morning, today, Ken headed out to walk the dog before church and Charlie was out in his driveway. He asked Ken if he had taken care of the leaves. Ken told him I had. Charlie then told Ken, "You don't know what this means to me." He proceeded to tell Ken that he and Genny had gone to church and then stopped at McDonald's for a snack like usual. They returned to the car and got in. He started the ignition...
...and she died.
Whoa! Little did I know how HUGE of a blessing it would be for me to take care of something so minor as leaves! I am so thankful that I was obedient and continued blowing those leaves even when my mind started thinking up worst case scenarios!
We went over this afternoon and met with the family and Charlie. Everyone was so grateful. We look forward to walking through the door that has been opened to us with this dear family. Please join us in praying for them as they go through the next days. It looks like the funeral will be Wednesday.
3 comments:
Hugs to all of you - and special prayers for Charlie and family as they deal with their loss!
So glad God orchrastrated you to be neighbors with Charlie!
I am speechless...may God give Charlie peace and you a new found friendship.
Post a Comment