Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Visit with Grandma

Cressalyn and I had a wonderful visit with Grandma Saturday! We had taken Nathan to the airport to return to Tulsa. We took breakfast from McDonald's to her, but she had forgotten we were coming and was already eating when we arrived. They allowed us to go to the activity room by ourselves.

We enjoyed chatting with Grandma and hearing about her decision from her. She explained why she no longer wants transfusions with such conviction and determination...and compassion for others who could use the blood she would be given. What a woman! Another lady wandered in to the room carrying a pillow she wanted us to see. She was very interested in what we were doing and talking about..but Grandma didn't say anything other than introducing us. So I was able to then redirect Grandma's attention and carry on our conversation about her grandchildren. The lady stood there for a moment and then decided to move on. Grandma told us this lady was...and she made the circling motion with her finger to her head...crazy. I thought that was so funny! I have NEVER seen Grandma do that!

Her color was very good today. Her hair has been trimmed since the last time I saw her...but then that was Easter! The longer we sat and talked the more pain she got in from sitting.

At one point I asked her "What's next?" meaning what does she plan to do after breakfast. Her response was..."Waiting. Waiting to go to Heaven." She told us that all she's able to do now is lay down where she's comfortable and think and pray. She said she does get lonely at times as she thinks of the family and remembers past years, but it quickly passes and she's looking for a way to be a blessing right where she is. She's really got a burden for Polly, her roommate.

As we said we needed toget back on the road to return home she reached for our hands and said, "Let's pray." Then before I could begin praying for my grandmother, she began praying for us! She prayed for the boys and their travels, their schooling, for Cressalyn (she corrected herself after calling her Jessica!) and her job and school. She prayed for Ken and I in our jobs and ministry and then for herself as she is a light there.
WOW!!!! I told her thank you for being a blessing to me and an inspiration to me. She started to tear up so I quickly gathered our things. She is an incredible woman! What a love for God she has! What an example for us!

No comments: